CLI has decided that holding our ASU Tempe campus-based programs online for Summer 2021 is the best way to ensure that our students and faculty from around the world can work together safely. We will build on the successful experience of CLI 2020 to ensure that our synchronous online classes will be of the highest quality. Our classes, taught by our skilled and experienced faculty, will continue to feature CLI's trademark small class size and personalized instruction. In the next few months, we will be providing CLI faculty with additional training and resources to ensure that CLI 2021 students will have an engaging experience of language, culture, and community while also meeting their proficiency goals.
For some of our study-abroad programs, which start in late June and mid-July, we will wait until the beginning of March to make a decision on in-person programming. We know that the experience of living the language in-country is important and difficult to recreate online. Ultimately, we will have to take into account the plans our study-abroad providers, travel guidelines for American citizens, and infection rates in those countries when making our decision. As soon as we make those decisions, we will update our website and inform applicants for those programs whether we will be able to hold those programs in person or what a virtual study-abroad program would look like (including the cost).
To summarize our program decisions so far:
- The $1,500 program fee, as well as the announced dates (May 24-July 16 for Russian and Indonesian; June 1-July 16, 2021 for all other languages, except for Kazakh), for the following CLI 2021 online program remain the same: 1st-year Albanian, 1st-year Armenian, 1st-year BCS, 1st-year Hebrew, 1st-year Indonesian, 1st- and 2nd-year Macedonian, 1st-year Polish, 1st- and 2nd-year Persian, 1st- and 2nd-year (Arizona) Russian, 1st- and 2nd-year Turkish, 1st-year Ukrainian, and 1st-year Uzbek.
- For study-abroad programs for Ukrainian, our providers are still considering the possibility of in-person programming. We will make a final decision in late April.
- For study-abroad programs for Russian (Kyrgyzstan and Russia), Indonesian, BCS, and Albanian, courses will be taught online in the summer of 2021. Please see the respective program pages with details and prices for the online programs.
- Study-abroad programs in Armenia and Uzbekistan are cancelled, but 2nd-year Uzbek and Armenian classes will be offered online; the program fee will be $1,500 and the dates will be June 1-July 16.
- Kazakh (June 7-July 30), taught online in partnership with the Summer School in Russian and Eurasian Studies at Nazarbayev University, will have a program fee of $3000.
The deadline for all CLI funding applications was January 25th, 2021. We are now reviewing completed applications and will look to make scholarship awards in mid-February. Admissions decisions for applications submitted by January 25th 2021 will be made in mid-February and on a rolling basis thereafter.
Thanks to ASU institutional support, CLI does not charge tuition (in-state or out-of-state) for its credit-bearing courses. Instead, we charge a flat administrative fee of $1,500 for all of our languages. Please note that additional fees apply for our study-abroad programs. For information on CLI 2021 program dates and estimated costs, please visit the individual language pages.
Please click here to add your email to our CLI 2021 update list. In addition to updating our website, we will use this email list to keep people informed about key application and scholarship dates and decisions about CLI 2021.
CLI 2021 Information Sessions
We will be holding one final 2021 info session, via Zoom. Please join us at our director Dr. Irina Levin's Zoom room at:
- Wednesday, April 14, 10am MST/1pm EDT
*Please note the time change! Arizona (with the exception of Navajo Nation) does not observe daylight savings!
If you cannot make either, reach out to us at email@example.com to schedule a time to talk!