Petra Guasti is a lecturer and researcher in the Department of Political Science at Johannes Gutenberg University (JGU) of Mainz (Germany). She holds an MA in Society and Politics from Lancaster University (England), a PhD in Political Sociology from Charles University in Prague (Czech Republic), and a PhD in Political Science from the University of Bremen (Germany). Her PhD at Charles University detailed her comparative work on civil society in the Central and East European (CEE) countries in which she developed a comparative methodology for the assessment of Civil Society Organizations (CSOs), as well as an index of civic and political participation. Her PhD at the University of Bremen addressed the question of the legitimacy of the emerging European political order and the role civil society can play in strengthening it. Between 2005 and 2008, Guasti worked at the Jean Monnet Centre for European Studies at the University of Bremen as a researcher in the project, “Citizenship and Constitution: Transformations of the Public Sphere in East- and West-European Integration” (Volkswagen Foundation). Between 2008 and 2010, she was a senior researcher at the University of Würzburg in the project, “Rule of Law and Informal Institution: Central Europe and Latin America in Comparison.” She participated in numerous FP6 and FP7 projects [EU's Framework Programme for Research], most notably Reconstitutiong Democracy in Europe (RECON) and Security meets Economics (SECONOMICS). Between 2014 and 2015, Guasti participated in the Christine de Pizan Mentoring Program (JGU). Her current research focuses on democratization and Europeanization in CEE and European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) states, in particular the issues of the rule of law, corruption, and human rights. She is also a co-convener of the Standing Group Central and Eastern European Politics of the European Consortium for Political Research.
- "Beyond EU Conditionality: Analyzing the Key Factors affecting Rule of Law in Central and Eastern Europe after the EU Accession." In Institutional Trust, by D. Kostova et al, pp.215-248. Sofia: MD Academic Pubslihing, 2014.
- With Mansfeldova, Z. "Czech Republic in the Context of Europe: Post-Enlargement Successes and Failures." In European Futures: The Perspectives of the New Member States in the New Europe, edited by A. Ágh and L. Vass, pp. 269-299. Budapest: Budapest College of Communication and Business, 2013.
- "The Politics of Inclusion: Comparing the Contribution of Civil Society Actors to EU legitimacy." In The EU Social and Economic Model After the Global Crisis: Interdisciplinary Perspectives, by D. Schieck, pp. 141-164. Surrey: Ashgate, 2013.
- "A Panacea for Democratic Legitimation? Assessing the Engagement of Civil Society with EU Treaty Reform Politics." In Democratising the EU from Below? Citizenship, Civil Society and the Public Sphere, by U. Liebert et al., pp. 135-164. Surrey: Ashgate, 2013.
- With Bustikova, L. “Hating Thy Imaginary Neighbor: An Analysis of Antisemitism in Slovakia." Journal for the Study of Antisemitism, 4 : 469-493.
- With Dobovsek,B. and Ažman, B. "Deficiencies in the Rule of Law in Slovenia in the Context of Central and Eastern Europe." Journal of Criminal Justice and Security (Varstvoslovje) 14(2) : 175-190.
This event is sponsored by the ASU Melikian Center: Russian, Eurasian & East European Studies.